header-club-2.jpg

Club History

Strathgryffe Tennis & Squash Club was constituted in 1991 as the result of a merger between Elderslie and Bridge of Weir Tennis Clubs and remains as a non profit making members Club.

A new site was found on the outskirts of Houston, and with the proceeds from the sale of club grounds at Elderslie and Bridge of Weir, an L.T.A. loan and Sports Council grant, the new club was built comprising a modern well appointed clubhouse with lounge and bar area, 2 glass backed squash clubs and 6 outdoor all weather courts.

The facility was officially opened by the Chairman of the Sports Council in May 1992.

At a total cost of around £750,000, the L.T.A. provided an interest free loan of £220,000 and the Lottery Sports Fund a grant of £350,000 additional facilities consisting of 2 indoor carpeted tennis courts, fitness room and the resurfacing of existing hard courts were officially opened in 1997.

An additional 2 indoor courts with a total cost of around £950,000 were officially opened in July 2008.

Strathgryffe now in 2013 has over 1100 members, and the facilities comprise clubhouse and lounge/bar, 4 indoor tennis courts, 6 outdoor artificial grass courts, 2 glass backed squash courts, fully equipped gym and games room.